Week 8 Forum

Addario memoir parts 3 and 4

My top 2 favorite chapters in the second half of the book are chapters 7 and 9. I find these the 2 most compelling chapters because they both made me want to keep reading. Chapter 7 I liked a lot because it was kind of different from the rest because she did talk about war in Africa, but she took a different approach to talking about it by looking at how the women were affected. It also had some action and suspense with her having the issue with running out of water. I wanted to keep reading to know what happened. My most favorite chapter though is chapter 9. There is a lot of character development with the people that she was with. I felt attached to them as well. that chapter just goes over her experience in Afghanistan in the Korengal valley. She is having to deal with her friend's pregnancy as well with the stereotypes that the soldiers have for her not being able to carry her own and being seen as a dead weight. The soldier that we get kind of close to is "Wildcat", who is later killed in an ambush during "Operation Rock Avalanche". She does a good job of conveying the weight of his death and how it affected her. The chapter ends with her discussing the controversy of a photo she took of a boy. her newspaper was going to not put the photo in the magazine, so she sent them and email about its importance and how they were basically being silly, but the photo never got ran. I feel like this covers the important topic of censorship. My favorite quote in this chapter is "...the only thing that had kept me alive during Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Congo, and Darfur was my inner voice that told me when I had reached my personal limit of fear" I like this because she is pointing out the thing that I have noticed several times before. She seams to have a knack for getting out by the skin of her teeth. She has good luck and she is able to recognize when that luck starts to run out, which is definitely something that contributes to her being a good photographer, which is also the thing that I learned from this chapter, and something that has been a common theme this term: part of being a great photographer is having good luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Forum

Week 10 Forum

Week 2 Assignment